10.23.2006

Scammer on MySpace everybody!

Tonight the band Flyleaf, as well as Weird Al Yankovic himself, posted bulletins stating that somebody impersonating them has been sending out notices that state you can win a free trip to Las Vegas to see them in concert. Flyleaf's MySpace person is trying to get to figure out who did it, and Weird Al is warning people to "ignore the spam!" I received the Flyleaf scam, sent as an Event Invitation. I was taken to a website where I had to enter my ZIP code. when I did that, I was asked for my personal information... and then noticed something about completing some offers. Firefox went CLOSE TAB right then.

Below is Flyleaf's bulletin:

----------------- Bulletin Message -----------------
From: Flyleaf
Date: Oct 22, 2006 5:00 PM


I am still investigating this, but there someone posing as flyleaf and promoting a free trip to vegas. We have had legitimate promotions like this in the past, but this one is a scam! If you get an invite from this imposter, please report it as spam. I'm so sorry about that and apologize for anyone who gave away personal info thinking it was to us.


And below is Weird Al's bulletin:

----------------- Bulletin Message -----------------
From: Weird Al Yankovic
Date: Oct 23, 2006 2:20 AM


Hey everybody,

Apparently there is some creep out there pretending to be me, and he has been spamming my MySpace friends list with offers to see me in Las Vegas if people sign up for a lot of garbage online.

Just to be clear, this is definitely NOT ME. This is an IMPOSTOR, and we are looking into having his MySpace account yanked, after which he will hopefully be flogged and tortured.

I'm very sorry if any of you were inconvenienced by this. Really, I don't suck.


Thanks,
Al Yankovic

No comments: